Equinix to Open First Data Center in Bordeaux, France
Increasing connectivity opportunities further, BX1 will provide a landing hub for the new submarine cable, AMITIE, due to link
The COVID-19 pandemic has revealed the true importance of digital technology. From telecommuting, to increased automation and collaboration, technological innovation has made it possible to comply with restrictions, but also to capture new opportunities.
Indeed, digital transformation is reshaping industries worldwide. According to the
Strategically located in the southwest of
BX1 further supports this growing digital hub. And by providing access to Platform Equinix®, the development will offer a highly connected footprint of capabilities and services, enabling businesses to connect their core digital infrastructure around the world.
- BX1 will be the first carrier-neutral data center in
Bordeaux. As a true connectivity hub, BX1 will offer customers secure and resilient colocation and interconnection services, as well as the opportunity to benefit from the comprehensive digital ecosystems housed in Equinix's Parissites, via Equinix Fabric™.
- With more than 220 facilities across five continents, Platform Equinix enables companies in
Franceto quickly and easily connect to the world's most important business markets, including financial centers and gateways to emerging economies. BX1 further demonstrates Equinix'scommitment to helping companies compete more effectively in Franceand internationally, thus strengthening France'sposition in the global digital economy.
- BX1 features a modular design—flexible, efficient and quickly adjustable. This allows for multiple configurations and scaling of a common model across different footprints. The site is due to provide colocation space of approximately 32,000 square feet (3,000 square meters).
- BX1 is being built in line with global environmental standards and will contribute to a portfolio of some of the most energy-efficient data centers in the world. Indeed, BX1 is due to utilize 100% renewable energy, with the decoupled energy platform supporting multiple power sources while providing greener energy storage and greater resilience. Equinix is dedicated to providing sustainable infrastructure, and has been awarded the EcoVadis Silver medal since 2017, recently scored the highest rating on its first response to the DPP's Committed to Sustainability survey, and received an A- ranking from CDP. The company has also joined European cloud infrastructure and data center providers and European trade associations to form the Climate Neutral Data Centre Operator Pact and Self-Regulatory Initiative.
- Régis Castagné, Managing Director,
"The development of BX1 is part of our ongoing commitment to the French market, further supporting the growth of the local digital economy and digital transformation strategies. It is an exciting project, bringing the first edge computing-led data center to the area, and also providing a connectivity hub for the AMITIE cable. By locating in
Bordeaux, we are hoping to make the New Aquitaine region a model for innovation, addressing technological issues and capturing the opportunities of digital business. With fiber links to our sites in Paris, companies deploying in BX1 will have direct and secure connections to a comprehensive digital ecosystem." Eugene Bergen Henegouwen, President, EMEA, Equinix:
"The addition of the new
Bordeauxmetro is another strategic expansion of Platform Equinix, further supporting our more than 10,000 customers worldwide. The Bordeauxhub will serve as one of the key connectivity points to Pariswith its rich wide-ranging digital ecosystems. BX1 aims to greatly increase international expansion opportunities for French companies, whilst providing a major connectivity hub from and to the French and global digital economy." Jean-Luc Vuillemin, Executive Vice President Network Infrastructures and International Services, Orange:
"It is hoped the landing of the new transatlantic mega cable near
Bordeauxwill ultimately enable the New Aquitaine region to become a global data exchange center, building a strong and innovative digital ecosystem to support its economic development. This is the first time in several decades that a new submarine cable connectivity point has been created in France. This will contribute, on the one hand, to offering greater resilience in data transmissions between Europeand the United States, but also, as we did a few years ago in Marseilles, to maximize the economic benefits that can be brought by submarine cables, by irrigating new areas with high development potential. We worked together to achieve this, and are particularly pleased with the result."
Jean-François Pierron, Elected Member of the Bordeaux Chamber of Commerce and Industry:
Equinix'spresence in Bordeauxwill give companies access to industry-leading digital services as well as the opportunities afforded to companies located in Paris. BX1 will strengthen our digital ecosystem and the attractiveness of our region in promoting the development of companies here."
- Accelerating Digital Transformation Trends in
- Global Interconnection Index Volume 4 [report]
- Learn more about Equinix Fabric™ [website]
- Learn more about our data centers in
- Learn more about Platform Equinix® [website]
- Sustainability at
- The Data Center of the Future Begins in
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-to-open-first-data-center-in-bordeaux-france-301240452.html
Equinix Media Contact (Global), David Fonkalsrud, Equinix, +1 650-598-6240, email@example.com; Equinix Media Contact (Asia-Pacific), Annie Ho, Equinix, +852 2970-7761, firstname.lastname@example.org; Equinix Media Contact (EMEA), Jess Sullivan, +44 7876 712 861, email@example.com; Equinix Investor Relations, Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Chip Newcom, +1 (650) 598-6262, email@example.com