Equinix Announces Build of New Flagship Data Center in London
The new data center will bring the company's
This sizeable investment is an indicator of
As part of
Highlights/ Key Facts
- The new
$120M(£90M GBP) data center forms part of a total $387M(£295M GBP) investment in the UK'sdigital economy from Equinixthroughout 2018/19. This includes $108M(£82M GBP) in expansion to Equinix'sLD10 data center, $120M(£94M GBP) in expansion at its LD9 data center and $39M(£29M GBP) expansion of its LD4 data center. The investment in expansions at LD9 and LD10 include the development of dedicated space for hyperscale infrastructure to meet demand from cloud service provider customers.
- Earlier this year the company also announced that it would expand its LD4 data center due to continued growth of the world's largest multi-asset class electronic trading ecosystem which consists of a robust collection of interconnected execution venues, trading platforms, market data vendors, service providers, buy-side firms, and sell-side firms.
- The new LD7 data center will enable customers to interconnect securely with 1,000+ businesses in
Londonincluding leading capital markets participants, insurers and electronic payments firms, as well as 200+ network service providers and 275+ cloud and IT service providers. LD7 will add 1,750 cabinets in its initial phase and expand to 2,650 cabinets at full build.
- Energy efficiency will be achieved at the site with the aid of an innovative chilled water system in combination with an Adiabatic heat rejection system. This will contribute to LD7 having lower energy consumption and a smaller carbon footprint than other facilities of its kind.
- LD7 will also provide direct, secure and dynamic software-defined interconnection through the Equinix Cloud Exchange™ Fabric to over 1,300 businesses including some of the largest CSPs including Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Oracle Cloud. Customers can take advantage of scalability, agility and connectivity over a self-service portal or API and through a single port, can discover and reach the aggregation of companies and ecosystems at
Equinixon demand, locally or across metros.
- The investment will support the rapidly increasing private exchange of data between businesses – also known as interconnection. According to
Equinix'sGlobal Interconnection Index Volume 2, Interconnection Bandwidth is expected to grow 48% per annum in Europeto reach 1,900+ Tbps by 2021, contributing to around 23% of Interconnection Bandwidth globally. With an average growth rate of 52%, Londonis set to contribute over 35% of Europe'sgrowth, more than tripling its private data exchange between businesses from 195 Tbps to 681 Tbps. This means that despite Brexit, Londonis projected to have the largest volume of data privately flowing between businesses, more than any other market in Europe.
Russell Poole, managing director UK, Equinix:
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to the risks described from time to time in
International Business Exchange is a trademark of
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-announces-build-of-new-flagship-data-center-in-london-300752770.html
Equinix Press Contacts: David Fonkalsrud, +1 (650) 598-6240, firstname.lastname@example.org, OR Equinix (EMEA), Liam Rose, +44 (0) 207 618 9602, email@example.com, OREquinix Investor Relations Contact: Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583,firstname.lastname@example.org, OR Chip Newcom, +1 650-598-6262, email@example.com