Equinix Acquires IO UK's Data Center Business
Highlights / Key Facts
UKis a global leader in cross-border connectivity. According to a new report by TechUK, the UKaccounts for 11.5 per cent of global cross-border data flows in 2015— compared with 3.9 per cent of global GDP and 0.9 per cent of global population. Cross-border data flows for the UKincreased 28 times between 2005 and 2015 and are expected to grow another 5 times through 2021. LD10 will be the latest UKdata center asset on Equinix'sglobal interconnection platform which will support this increase in data traffic and facilitate the movement of it worldwide.
- The LD10 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center will be tethered to the other data centers (LD4, LD5, LD6) on the Equinix Slough campus, enabling customers to easily interconnect with one another across business ecosystems for maximum collaboration across digital supply chains. The
Sloughcampus also offers low-latency connectivity to key markets from Londonsuch as 30 milliseconds to New Yorkand 4 milliseconds to Frankfurt.
- LD10 will add approximately 350 cabinets of sold capacity and a total colocation space of approximately 3,340 cabs once the facility is completely built out. The data center currently has a customer mix that maps closely to
Equinix'sexisting base including financial services, enterprise, and networks. IO UK's Sloughdata center contains Baselayer Modular Data Centerunits, which Equinixwill maintain and expand, as needed.
Equinix's U.K.data centers are business hubs for nearly 1,300 companies and the Equinix Slough campus sits at the center of Europe'slargest financial trading community, with approximately 25% of European equities trades originating at this location. Businesses can also access a broad range of more than 200 network service providers, as well as leading cloud service providers such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, IBM Softlayer and Google Cloud Platform which are available on the Equinix Cloud Exchange™.
- With the current IT transformation underway, enterprises increasingly require low-latency network connectivity, access to cloud service providers in top global markets and interconnection with customers and partners across their digital supply chain to run their corporate IT. LD10 will enable
Equinixcustomers to evolve from traditional businesses to "digital businesses" ― the need to globally interconnect with people, locations, cloud services and data. Additionally, customers will have the opportunity to operate on an expanded global platform to process, store and distribute larger volumes of latency-sensitive data and applications at the digital edge, closer to end-users and local markets.
- With this transaction
Equinixnow operates 147 IBX data centers in 40 markets, providing customers even more ways to connect with other businesses around the world on Platform Equinix™. RBC Capital Marketsserved as Equinix'sfinancial advisor, and Slaughter and May acted as Equinix'sexternal legal advisors in connection with this transaction.
Eric Schwartz, president, EMEA, Equinix:
Equinixto Acquire Portfolio of 24 Data Center Sites from Verizonin $3.6 BillionDeal [press release]
- Equinix Solidifies EMEA Data Center Portfolio [press release]
- Equinix Invests
$42Min London Data Center Expansion [press release]
- The Successful Cloud-Enabled Enterprise [infopaper]
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements which are based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements, including statements related to the acquisition of IO's data center operating business in
International Business Exchange is a trademark of
 "The UK Digital Sectors after Brexit" An independent report commissioned by techUK.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-acquires-io-uks-data-center-business-300402375.html
Michelle Lindeman (Americas); +1 (650) 598-6361; email@example.com; Liam Rose (EMEA), +44 (0) 207 618 9602, firstname.lastname@example.org; Equinix Investor Relations Contacts: Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, email@example.com; Paul Thomas, +1 (650) 598-6442, firstname.lastname@example.org