REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and HONG KONG, May 25, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced its plans to further expand its footprint in Hong Kong. It will invest over $40 million to build the third phase of its second International Business Exchange ™ (IBX®) data center (HK2). It will also build the ninth phase of its first data center (HK1). The new facilities will meet strong demand from cloud and content and digital media (CDM) companies for data center and interconnection services in Hong Kong.
- Located in the western part of Hong Kong, the third phase of HK2 will provide space for an additional 900 cabinets, bringing the total capacity of the data center to 2,350 cabinets. It is slated to open in Q4, 2015, in conjunction with the additional phase of HK1-IX, which will add 275 cabinets.
- The expansion of HK1 and HK2 will enable businesses to better address the huge consumer appetite for online media and video content. In Hong Kong alone, 79 percent of the population is active on the internet, with 66 percent active on social media and 64 percent mobile internet users1. Given this high penetration, content and digital media companies are deploying in Equinix's Hong Kong data centers at a rapid rate to be in closer proximity to end users and lower network latency to provide an optimal end-user experience.
- Equinix Hong Kong's content and digital media customer base grew 16 percent year-over-year in 2014. Content companies such as ChinaCache, Casale Media and MediaMath are deploying with Equinix Hong Kong to access its network-dense ecosystem of more than 1,000 networks, carriers, mobile providers and internet service providers (ISPs), such as China Unicom. Content companies are also deploying with Equinix to develop agile, hybrid cloud environments with access to multiple clouds including Microsoft Azure, AWS and Google Cloud Platform and networks via Equinix Cloud Exchange.
- Equinix's cloud and IT ecosystem also continues to gain momentum in Hong Kong, as local and international internet security and cloud service providers (CSPs) are increasingly choosing to deploy with Equinix Hong Kong as an entry point into Asia-Pacific. With IDC predicting the cloud market to grow 23 percent in 2015, driven by rising interests from enterprises2, internet security, network and cloud service providers such as Macroview, Microware, Netswitch, Nexusguard and OneAsia are turning to Equinix Hong Kong to connect with an established ecosystem of over 6,300 potential customers and partners.
- The expansion of Equinix's footprint in Hong Kong is the latest in a series of expansions across Asia-Pacific to meet the rising demand for interconnection services. Most recently in March 2015, Equinix opened its third Singapore data center (SG3) and its first data center in Melbourne (ME1) in December 2014.
- Jesse Shang, senior vice president, China Unicom Hong Kong:
"With our deployment in Equinix's IBX data center in Hong Kong, we've been able to connect with thousands of companies and tap into new business opportunities across various industries, ranging from enterprises to service providers. It has also enabled us to quickly and efficiently scale our services, providing telecommunication services to customers throughout Asia-Pacific and the Middle East."
- PH Tang, chief technology officer, Macroview Telecom:
"As one of Hong Kong's leading ICT Systems Integrators, we've seen uptake from customers wanting to deploy the latest network infrastructure and private cloud solutions. This made it natural for us to partner with Equinix thanks to its strong public cloud ecosystem and experience as a cloud enabler. Together we can help customers benefit from the latest hybrid cloud solutions and ensure they adopt the right cloud strategy for their businesses."
- Joseph Yang, director of Professional & Managed Services, Microware Limited: "Microware is committed to helping our clients simplify complex IT infrastructure through our state-of-the-art cloud solutions, enabling them to focus on their core business without worrying about managing IT operations. To achieve this, we choose to host our cloud services inside Equinix IBX data centers, with its global footprint, network-dense connectivity, wide range of cloud service providers and dedicated disaster recovery."
- Alex Tam, managing director, Equinix Hong Kong:
"With the strong momentum of cloud and content companies deploying in Hong Kong, as well as data center services demand from worldwide customers including many in China, it was a clear strategic business decision to expand our presence in Hong Kong. The investment in HK1 and HK2 further positions Hong Kong as an important regional hub, not only for financial services firms but for cloud and content companies as well."
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 33 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
1 Digital, Social, and Mobile in APAC 2015 Report, Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) Singapore, March 2015
2 Hybrid cloud adoption set for a big boost in 2015, Computerworld, December 2014
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140102/MM39832LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-announces-further-expansion-of-its-footprint-in-hong-kong-300088398.html
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contacts (APAC): Lorraine Little-Bigelow / Angelika Tam, + (852) 2970 7742 / 2970 7761, email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org; Summer Jia, LEWIS PR, + (852) 3944 5000, LEWISHongKong@lewispr.com