REDWOOD CITY and SUNNYVALE, Calif., July 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, and NetApp (Nasdaq: NTAP), a global leader in storage and data management solutions, today announced that they are expanding their cloud partnership. The two companies now provide an expanded offering of private storage solutions for the public cloud including NetApp Private Storage for Microsoft Azure, through the Equinix Cloud Exchange, which makes connecting to the cloud simple and convenient.
As part of today's announcement, Equinix and NetApp delivered test results revealing that data throughput between NetApp Private Storage customers and Microsoft Azure rose by an average of 36 percent when the two services were connected via the Equinix Cloud Exchange instead of via public networks. These tests illustrate significant performance gains companies can achieve when accessing multiple cloud and IT services inside Equinix International Business Exchange (IBX®) data centers. Additional results from NetApp's testing of the Equinix Cloud Exchange can be found in the Equinix blog: NetApp, Microsoft and Equinix Deliver Secure, Scalable Hybrid Cloud with Private Storage.
NetApp and Equinix began their partnership in 2012 to give customers complete control over their data while using scalable compute from Amazon Web Services (AWS). Building on the success of the AWS offering, the expanded partnership and new solution for Microsoft Azure enable the two companies to meet customer demands for leading public clouds. By deploying NetApp Private Storage in Equinix data centers with Equinix Cloud Exchange, enterprises place data next to AWS and Microsoft Azure to combine the elasticity and cost benefits of public cloud compute with performance availability and control of private NetApp storage and data management.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The Equinix Cloud Exchange can dynamically connect NetApp Private Storage customers to multiple public clouds. This automated provisioning, combined with advanced service orchestration, greatly simplifies the process of interconnecting enterprise storage resources to cloud services, slashing connection times from days or even weeks to minutes.
- The 36 percent gain in storage throughput was determined by comparing the performance NetApp users experienced via ExpressRoute and Equinix Cloud Exchange to the throughput speed of sending data via VPN over the public Internet.
- The positive results from NetApp's testing suggest that customers can more confidently explore multi-cloud deployments to handle large, complex workflows more efficiently. Tests were performed in labs within Equinix data centers in Washington, D.C. and Silicon Valley that physically house NetApp private storage arrays, as well as Microsoft ExpressRoute access points, thereby minimizing latency in the tests' outcome.
- Equinix was the first data center company to offer Microsoft Azure ExpressRoute, which provides direct, private connections to Microsoft Azure cloud services. Businesses can access cloud services through the Equinix Cloud Exchange in 16 markets globally – Amsterdam, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto and Washington D.C. with expansion planned to a total of 19 markets by the end of 2014.
- Today NetApp Private Storage for Microsoft Azure is available in Equinix data centers in Silicon Valley and Washington, D.C. Availability throughout additional U.S data center, Europe and Asia are planned for the near future.
- Phil Brotherton, vice president, Cloud Solutions Group, NetApp:
"Our test results confirm the performance benefits of connecting private storage to public clouds through Equinix Cloud Exchange. The exchange platform's automated connections give NetApp customers direct, easy access to multiple clouds and managed services, so they can quickly create a virtual portfolio IT services that works for them. As for NetApp, we see great value in this new solution, because it enables us to connect our infrastructure stack to multiple cloud vendors, expanding opportunities for our customers and our business." Greg Adgate, VP global partnerships and alliances, Equinix:
"The performance gains reported by NetApp's customers on Equinix Cloud Exchange should be very encouraging to companies considering multi-cloud deployments. Through the Cloud Exchange, we aim to give companies near-instant access to the broadest range of cloud and IT services. Equinix makes it simple and seamless for companies to connect to multiple clouds and networks – and to adjust their use of those services as business needs change."
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that deliver outstanding cost efficiency and accelerate business breakthroughs. Our commitment to living our core values and consistently being recognized as a great place to work around the world are fundamental to our long-term growth and success, as well as the success of our pathway partners and customers. Discover our passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
About Equinix Cloud Exchange
The Equinix Cloud Exchange is an advanced interconnection solution that enables seamless, on-demand and direct access to multiple clouds, across multiple networks around the globe. By combining the automated interconnection of cloud, network and managed service providers with advanced service orchestration for the first time, the Equinix Cloud Exchange provides enterprises with simple, scalable, direct access to the multiple cloud services they need to build highly flexible hybrid cloud solutions. This removes the security, performance and vendor lock-in concerns holding many organizations back from fully adopting and reaping the benefits of cloud services. For more information on the Equinix Cloud Exchange, please visit http://www.equinix.com/solutions/by-services/interconnection/exchanges/equinix-cloud-exchange/.
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,500 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world's most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 32 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. http://www.equinix.com/.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such
differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140715/126965
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140102/MM39832LOGO
Equinix Media Contacts - Liam Rose, +1-650-598-6590, email@example.com, OR Gabe Taylor, Mindshare PR, +1-650-800-7160, firstname.lastname@example.org, OR Equinix Media Contacts (APAC) - Lorraine Little-Bigelow, + (852) 2970 7742, email@example.com, OR Emma Jenkins / Andrea Friedman, LEWIS PR, + (852) 3944 5000, LEWISHongKong@lewispr.com, OR Equinix Media Contact (EMEA) - Rowland Harding, Text 100, +44 (0)20 8846 0718, firstname.lastname@example.org, OR NetApp Media Contact, Kristin Bleier, +1-408-393-4076, email@example.com