Equinixdeploys more AWS Direct Connect onramps than any other data center provider. Currently, AWS Direct Connect is available to customers in Equinix IBX data centers across 24 strategic markets including Amsterdam, Chicago, Dallas, Frankfurt, Helsinki, Los Angeles, London, Madrid, Manchester, Miami, Munich, New York, Osaka, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, Warsawand Washington, D.C.
- VMware Cloud on AWS is an on-demand service that enables enterprises to run applications across vSphere-based cloud environments with access to a broad range of AWS services. Powered by
VMware Cloud Foundation, this service integrates vSphere, vSAN and NSX along with VMwarevCenter management, and is optimized to run on dedicated, elastic, bare-metal AWS infrastructure. With VMware Hybrid Cloud Extension, customers can easily and rapidly perform large-scale bi-directional migrations between on-premises and VMware Cloud on AWS environments. VMwareis currently the leader in the server virtualization market. By teaming with VMware, Equinixis helping enterprises with on-premises infrastructure leverage the public cloud via AWS Direct Connect. Through this collaboration, Equinixand VMwareare providing an effective means of consuming on-premises VMwareinfrastructure and VMware Cloud on AWS resources to ensure security, high performance, reliability and optimal cost efficiency.
- Private connectivity to VMware Cloud on AWS via AWS Direct Connect inside Equinix IBX data centers is ideal for specific enterprise use cases, such as:
- Disaster Recovery—helps to granularly protect workloads on-premises in a cost-effective manner for either full or partial disaster recovery needs.
- Mobility and Migration—helps with migrating workloads from a simple vSphere platform on-premises, or an entire VMware SDDC stack, to a fully software-defined
VMwareenvironment in VMware Cloud on AWS.
- Hybrid Cloud—extends a data center on-premises to
VMwareon AWS Cloud while expanding its geographic reach.
- Multi-Cloud Applications—helps enterprises freely move application components to span from its on-premises environment to the cloud.
- The need to deploy hybrid cloud architecture by connecting to public cloud service providers, such as AWS, is becoming increasingly important for global enterprises as digital transformation fuels the need for virtualized, on-demand and elastic access to public and private cloud-based services. Through this collaboration with
VMware, Equinixwill enable hybrid cloud deployments for enterprises using VMwareinfrastructure.
- ECX Fabric directly, securely and dynamically connects distributed infrastructure and digital ecosystems on Platform Equinix® via global, software-defined interconnection. ECX Fabric, which is currently being rolled out globally, is designed for scalability, agility and connectivity over a self-service portal or API. Through a single port, customers can discover and reach anyone at
Equinixon demand, locally or across metros.
- To support real-time workloads, an
Equinixcustomer can use ECX Fabric to easily connect to VMware Cloud on AWS and other AWS services via an AWS Direct Connect location in the same metro where the customer's infrastructure is located. For other workloads like data backup, Equinixcustomers can use ECX Fabric to easily connect to VMware Cloud on AWS and other AWS services via an AWS Direct Connect location in a different metro from where the customer's infrastructure is located.
- Direct and private connectivity to strategic cloud service providers like AWS is essential as digital transformation fuels higher demand for localized digital services at the edge. According to the Global Interconnection Index, a market study published recently by
Equinix, the capacity for private data exchange between enterprises and cloud providers is forecast to grow six times faster than public internet traffic between 2017 and 2020.
Kaushik Joshi, Global Managing Director, Strategic Alliances, Equinix
VMwareis the market leader in server virtualization, and we are excited to collaborate with them and enable AWS hybrid cloud deployments for enterprises using VMwareinfrastructure. By offering private and secure connectivity to VMware Cloud on AWS via AWS Direct Connect in Equinix IBX data centers, we enable VMwarecustomers to accelerate their journey to hybrid cloud by seamlessly connecting their VMwareworkloads between on-premises and the AWS public cloud." Mark Lohmeyer, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Cloud Platform Business Unit, VMware
VMwareis excited to announce our collaboration with Equinix, a global leader in data center and interconnection. As the largest AWS Direct Connect provider with 24 AWS Direct Connect locations worldwide, Equinixhelps VMwareaccelerate our customer adoption of VMware Cloud on AWS, by enabling our enterprise customers with private, secure, fast connectivity to VMware Cloud on AWS. With AWS Direct Connect and VMware Cloud on AWS, customers will be able to deploy hybrid cloud applications across vSphere-based cloud environments with access to a broad range of AWS services." Rick Villars, Research Vice President, Datacenter & Cloud, IDC
"As enterprises incorporate public cloud infrastructure and applications into their business and customer-facing environments, they need access to solutions that enable them to consistently use and manage all of their IT assets across all of their cloud environments. A key element in such a hybrid cloud architecture is interconnectivity. Interconnectivity is not just about access to bandwidth, it's about breadth of options, flexible consumption and air-tight security. The ability for enterprises with extensive
VMwareworkloads to leverage VMware Cloud on AWS via Direct Connect at Equinixis an excellent example of how enterprises can now connect their hybrid environments globally while assuring security, high performance, low latency and lower cost."
- VMware Cloud on AWS via
Equinixand AWS Direct Connect [website]
- Building a Powerful Hybrid VMware Infrastructure with VMware Cloud on AWS [
- More about
Equinixand AWS [website]
- Equinix Collaboration with Amazon Web Services Expands in
Latin America[press release]
- Equinix Achieves APN Advanced Technology Partner Status with AWS [press release]
- The Global Interconnection Index [market study]
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-to-offer-private-connectivity-to-vmware-cloud-on-aws-via-aws-direct-connect-300704220.html
Equinix Media Contact (Global), David Fonkalsrud, +1 (650) 598-6240, email@example.com; or Investor Relations Contacts, Katrina Rymill, +1 650-598-6583, firstname.lastname@example.org, Chip Newcom, +1 650-598-6262, email@example.com