The new project will install fuel cells at seven Equinix IBX data centers in the
This investment is a key milestone in
The project is financed through
Highlights / Key Facts
- With the existing fuel cell at the SV5 IBX, and existing fuel cell installations at two IBXs acquired from
Verizonthis year (LA7 and NY13), the new project will bring Equinixto a total of more than 40 megawatts of fuel cell provisioned power at 15 locations.
- Once installed and operational, the
Equinixfuel cell project will operate at world leading efficiency, providing power that is 20-45 percent cleaner than the equivalent utility provided natural gas powered generation. Over the lifetime of the project, this will avoid 660,000 tons of carbon emissions and save 87 billion gallons of water that would have been used by natural gas or coal-fired utility generation.
- In addition to the significant sustainability impact, the project provides 24 x 7 always-on, highly reliable power optimally matched to the operational requirements of the data center.
- This project will relieve the day-to-day stress on local utility providers, helping to delay new utility generation and providing electricity directly where it is needed.
Equinixrecently released its second annual Corporate Sustainability Report that includes a review of progress towards Equinix'slong-term goal of using 100 percent clean and renewable energy, as well as progress toward Equinix'sother goal of growing a responsible and sustainable company. As of 2016, Equinixhad achieved 56 percent renewable energy coverage worldwide.
- In addition to these fuel cell initiatives,
Equinixis also engaged in Power Purchase Agreements for wind energy from Oklahoma and Texas, providing a total of 225 megawatts of capacity.
- Bloom Energy fuel cells use a proprietary solid oxide technology to generate electricity through a clean electrochemical process using air and fuel and resulting in only water and a small amount of carbon dioxide as by-products. SOx (sulfur oxides), NOx (nitrogen oxides) and other harmful smog-forming particulate emissions are virtually eliminated with the use of Bloom Energy fuel cells.
Karl Strohmeyer, President, Americas, Equinix
"As Equinix data centers, and the interconnection they facilitate, become increasingly critical to the infrastructure of our digital world, this fuel cell expansion is one step in lessening the overall impact of the digital economy on the planet. It enables us to serve our customers with the highest levels of performance while assisting their efforts to make their supply chain clean and efficient."
- KR Sridhar, Founder, Chairman and CEO, Bloom Energy
"There is no greater compliment and validation of our energy platform than to have our existing customers continue to expand their deployments of Bloom Energy Servers, and today,
Equinixis doing that in a big way." Tom Fanning, Chairman, President and CEO, Southern Company
"Our strategic partnership with Bloom Energy was established to deliver greater value for customers by providing innovative energy solutions directly on the customer premise. This project with
Equinixfurther demonstrates that this approach is meeting the smart energy demands of today's leading companies."
- Equinix Corporate Sustainability Report 2016
Equinix- Green by Design
- U.S. EPA Green Power Partner List
About Bloom Energy
Bloom Energy is a provider of breakthrough solid oxide fuel cell technology generating clean, highly efficient onsite power from multiple fuel sources. Founded in 2001 with a mission to make clean, reliable energy affordable for everyone in the world, Bloom Energy Servers are currently producing power for many Fortune 500 companies including
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering
International Business Exchange is a trademark of
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-to-install-largest-deployment-of-fuel-cells-for-the-colocation-data-center-industry-300505058.html
Equinix Media Contact, David Fonkalsrud, +1 (650) 598-6240, email@example.com, Equinix Investor Relations Contact, Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, firstname.lastname@example.org, Equinix Investor Relations Contact, Chip Newcom, +1 (650) 598-6262, email@example.com, Bloom Energy Media Contact, Matt Ross, +1 (415) 215-1670, Matt.firstname.lastname@example.org, Southern Company Media Contact, Schuyler Baehman, +1 (404) 506-5333, Sjbaehma@southernco.com