The new inter-metro connectivity will be delivered through the Equinix Cloud Exchange™ (ECX), which has been renamed the Equinix Cloud Exchange™ Fabric (ECX Fabric). It will leverage the software-defined networking (SDN) capabilities currently built into ECX to enable any customer to dynamically connect its own infrastructure across
The new ECX Fabric capabilities are immediately available in all ECX locations in
With this expansion, any
- The inter-metro integration of the
Equinixglobal platform will enable companies to reach their entire digital ecosystem, including new and existing customers and partners, on demand, through one connection to the world. It unlocks and further extends the global value, simplicity and consistency of connectivity through Platform Equinix™, which currently spans 190 IBX data centers in 48 markets and includes more than 9,500 of the world's leading businesses.
- Benefits to enterprises include the ability to rapidly scale their digital business operations globally by connecting privately and securely to a greater set of business partners and destinations. This includes both cloud service provider on-ramps within a metro or across other metros for the establishment of geo-redundant multicloud and hybrid cloud architectures, as well as connections between a customer's distributed points of presence essential to solving for distributed applications and today's demanding big data use cases.
Equinixenables businesses to rapidly scale in an environment that offers unmatched physical security coupled with the digital security benefits of directly connecting to strategic business partners outside of the public internet.
- As the world's leading companies increasingly shift to digital business models, interconnection with key business partners and customers is becoming an important element of their digital supply chain. Interconnection enables seamless, on-demand, direct and private access to virtually any counterparty—from cloud service providers to strategic business partners to networks to SaaS providers—without traversing the public internet or a WAN. This approach allows companies to boost application performance, reduce latency, increase security, and improve network control and visibility.
- Since 2014, ECX has provided virtualized, private and direct connections to the world's largest clouds. With today's announcement, ECX has evolved from a platform for cloud connectivity to a multipurpose interconnection exchange that further simplifies the process by which companies implement interconnection across customers, partners and suppliers.
- Private interconnection is a rapidly growing business practice for leading companies as their businesses become increasingly digital. According to the Global Interconnection Index, a market study published recently by
Equinix, the capacity for private data exchange between businesses is outpacing the public internet, growing at nearly twice the rate and comprising nearly six times the volume of global IP traffic by 2020.
- As a part of today's announcement of the expansion of the
Equinixglobal platform, the company also announced the extension of the Equinix Internet Exchange into nine new metros in the EMEA and Americasregions (see separate Equinixpress release issued today).
Benefits to service providers: Cloud service providers will have the ability to easily extend their reach to a rapidly expanding global base of enterprise buyers via private connections that provide a more consistent user experience. Network service providers will have the ability to more easily connect to geo-diverse cloud on-ramps in more metros, and to more easily establish network connections to destinations in which they do not yet have a physical presence, increasing their addressable market.
John Nishimoto, Vice President of Product Management and Marketing, Windstream
"The integration of the
Eric Hanselman, Chief Analyst, 451 Research
Sara Baack, Chief Marketing Officer, Equinix
"As digital transformation intensifies, business possibilities have no limits and neither should an organization's IT infrastructure. Building a digital business requires the ability to reach strategic global destinations on demand, to access everyone that matters, and to bring people, clouds, data and things together. Today's announcements and our future product and services roadmap are aimed at leveraging the
Maverick Research-- The Edge Will Eat the Cloud [Gartner Report]
- Colocation-Based Interconnection Will Serve as the 'Glue' for Advanced Digital Business Applications [Gartner Report]
- The Platform Equinix Vision -- Build Here, and Go Anywhere [Equinix Paper]
- Scaling Digital Business: Making "Everywhere, Everyone and Everything" a Reality [Equinix Blog]
- www.IOAKB.com [Interconnection Open Community Knowledgebase]
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering
Equinix Cloud Exchange, International Business Exchange and Platform Equinix are trademarks of
Equinix Press Contact (Global): David Fonkalsrud, +1 (650) 598-6240, email@example.com; Equinix Press Contact (EMEA): Liam Rose, +44 (0) 207 618 9602, firstname.lastname@example.org; Equinix Investor Relations Contacts: Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, email@example.com; Chip Newcom, +1 (650) 598-6262, firstname.lastname@example.org