Highlights / Key Facts
- Equinix Cloud Exchange is an advanced interconnection solution that enables seamless, on-demand and direct access to multiple clouds and multiple networks across the globe. By bringing together cloud service providers with enterprises consuming cloud and enabling them to establish private, high-performance connections, the Equinix Cloud Exchange gives enterprises direct access to the services they need to build sophisticated hybrid cloud solutions inside Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers.
- Since its initial launch in 2014, more than 625 businesses have connected globally to the Equinix Cloud Exchange including Aon, Beeks Financial Cloud, CDM Smith,
Ellie Mae, Hathaway Dinwiddie, and Walmart. Equinixhas continued to see strong demand for cloud connectivity — year-over-year growth of Equinix Cloud Exchange more than doubled from 2015 to 2016.
- The addition of Cloud Exchange in three new markets in addition to the five existing European markets (
London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Parisand Zurich) means extending companies' ability to access low-latency, private cloud connectivity without going over the public internet or a WAN. More Europe-based businesses can now leverage the performance, security and a consistent quality of experience that only direct, private connectivity can deliver.
- Equinix Cloud Exchange offers software-defined direct connections to multiple cloud services from a single physical port at both Layer 2 and Layer 3, so enterprises can easily access cloud-based services. Real-time provisioning of connections gives enterprise the flexibility to ramp up and down services according to their changing business requirements.
The European Commissionstates, "The huge potential of the digital economy is underexploited in Europe, with 41% of enterprises being non-digital, and only two percent taking full advantage of digital opportunities."1 As European businesses undergo digital transformation, many will turn to cloud-based technologies, as the cloud has been a catalyst for global IT transformation. To support this shift, Equinixwill roll out Cloud Exchange in the following key European metros, making Cloud Exchange available in 24 markets by the end of 2017: Dublin(available March) – At a time when global volumes of data are mushrooming, that presents both indigenous and foreign direct investment (FDI) companies with an abundance of opportunity, unique to Ireland. Coupled with the country's favorable corporate tax structure, data privacy laws and potential for mining big data, Irelandcontinues to be an attractive destination for digital business infrastructure. Milan(available September) – Milanis the economic and financial heart of Italyand is the country's second largest city, playing a vital role in the Italian economy which is the third largest in the Eurozone. Furthermore, Italian enterprises use of cloud computing (40%) is more than double the Eurozone average (19%).2 Stockholm(available September) – Stockholm'sstatus as a key international business and technology hub is growing dramatically. The city has been ranked as a top "future region" by the Financial Times, as well as Europe'sbest region in terms of prospects for inward investment and for economic and business expansion.
Ross Winser, research director, Gartner; "Deliver Data Center Modernization Using Three Cloud-Complementary Approaches ( February 2017)":
"As digital business strategies progress, reliance increases on cloud-based systems and cloud-based partners that participate in transactions (or host entire systems). Accordingly, data center modernization strategies must address the critical need for interconnectivity among data centers, cloud suppliers and business partners, as well as customers.[…] Consider using colocation network hubs to connect directly with cloud partners using high-bandwidth, low-latency, standardized connections located within the colocation facility to remove the unpredictability of internet-based cloud connections. This can improve the performance of hybrid system architectures that are heavily influenced by network performance between the cloud providers and the enterprise infrastructure."
Eric Schwartz, president, Equinix EMEA:
"When Equinix introduced Cloud Exchange, businesses were just beginning to leverage the cloud but there was still serious scepticism around performance and security. Over the last few years however, global business adoption of cloud has been tremendous and now we see customers securely connecting to many clouds and across multiple regions all on the Equinix Cloud Exchange. We believe these three new markets will make Cloud Exchange that much more appealing for enterprises looking to distribute their cloud infrastructure across
- Maximizing Cloud Impact - A New Paradigm for Connecting Clouds within the Enterprise [white paper]
- How Interconnected Clouds Can Boost Your Performance for Less Cost [blog]
- Equinix Cloud Exchange Availability Map [graphic]
- Cloud Exchange for Enterprise [video]
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centres and developing, deploying and delivering
2 "Cloud computing - Statistics on the use by enterprises" by Eurostat, 2014. http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/6208098/4-09122014-AP-EN.pdf/627ddf4f-730a-46ca-856b-32532d8325c5
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-cloud-exchange-expands-in-europe-to-accelerate-digital-transformation-300426803.html
Equinix Press Contacts: Liam Rose (EMEA), +44 (0) 207 618 9602, firstname.lastname@example.org; APCO Worldwide for Equinix: +44 (0) 207 526 3600, email@example.com; Equinix Investor Relations Contacts: Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, firstname.lastname@example.org; Paul Thomas, +1 (650) 598-6442, email@example.com